May 20, 2014
The SEIU Michigan State Council representing 35,000 working men and women in Michigan has endorsed Debbie Dingell in her bid to represent Michigan’s 12th District in the next Congress.
“We believe that addressing the income inequality gap and the lack of economic opportunity for so many people is the most pressing public policy concern in America today,” said Marge Robinson, R.N., SEIU State Council President and President of SEIU Healthcare Michigan. “We have faith that Debbie Dingell has the courage, understanding, and ability to address these and other important issues on behalf of working people in Michigan.”
Debbie Dingell thanked the SEIU for their support.
“Fighting for the values that are important to working men and women has always been my priority and if elected to Congress, that will continue to be my priority,” Dingell said.
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is a national organization of 2.1 million members and the fastest growing labor organization in North America. In Michigan, the SEIU Michigan State Council consists of four local unions that together, represent members in every area of the state. They include:
• SEIU Healthcare Michigan (health care employees)
• SEIU Local 526M/Michigan Corrections Organization (MCO) (state corrections officers)
• SEIU Local 517M (public sector workers including state, local, and school employees)
• SEIU Local 1 (property services employees)
The SEIU joins a growing list of organizations and individuals endorsing Dingell’s campaign. They include:
• The United Auto Workers
• The Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council
• Unite Here Local 24
• Michigan Teamsters
• Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights
• 12th Congressional District Democratic Party
• Michigan United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) Locals 876 and 951
• Michigan Joint Council of the Retail Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU)
• Brownstown Township, Dearborn, and Southwestern Wayne County Democratic clubs
• 12th District elected mayors and township supervisors
• 12th District state legislators
• Emily’s List